What is an Orthodontist?
An orthodontist is a dental specialist that has not only completed college and 4 years of dental school, but has also completed an additional two to three year residency program accredited by the ADA of advanced education in orthodontics.
What are the benefits of Orthodontics?
• Improved smile
• Better long term health
• Improved function of the teeth and jaw
• Aligned teeth are easier to clean and maintain good oral hygiene
• Less stress on supporting bone and gum tissue
• May improve TMJ dysfunction
How do I know if my child needs braces?
• Teeth that are overlapped or crowded
• Upper front teeth protrude over lower teeth: causing an overbite
• Lower front teeth protrude over or in front of the upper front teeth: causing an under bite
• The center of the upper and lower teeth do not line up
• Spaces between the teeth
• Teeth wearing excessively or unevenly
• Finger or thumb sucking habits which continue after six or seven years old
How long does treatment take?
The duration of treatment varies with each individual patient. Treatment may depend on patient compliance and severity of problem. The average length of active orthodontic treatment is 18 months.
Can I play sports if I am wearing braces?
Yes. Your orthodontist will fit you with a special mouth guard to protect your teeth during orthodontic treatment.
Do braces hurt?
Getting your braces on does not hurt. You may feel some general soreness for the first several days after your braces are placed or after your wires are changed. Over the counter pain medication can be helpful to relieve this soreness.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a series of clear aligners used to straighten teeth. The aligners are removable for eating and drinking and easier, more effective cleaning of your teeth.
How do I get started?
At Nakisher Orthodontics, the first evaluation is complimentary. We take photographs, evaluate your mouth and make a treatment recommendation (if necessary). With our free Smile Assurance Program, you receive active monitoring and regular check-ins until you or your child is ready for treatment.
The complimentary monitoring is provided until it is time to begin treatment. At that time, an individualized treatment plan is developed to fit your orthodontic needs.
For your complimentary consultation, call our office at 248-855-4142 and one of our friendly staff will schedule an evaluation for you at a convenient time.
Nakisher Orthodontics serves the Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Walled Lake, Birmingham and surrounding areas. Our office is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and some Saturdays. Feel free to contact us at any time. https://www.nakisherorthodontics.com/contact-us/